Thursday, March 11

My hearts a little heavy this morning after hearing some very disturbing news about a dear friend. This has stirred many emotions in me through the night to the point I could not sleep. This friend has traveled down a path that has lead to deceit, lying, using others, hurting family and friends and will eventually hurt her witness.

As I heard the story I was reminded of a similar situation that I went through years ago and all the hurt, pain, devastation, fear and doubt that it brought into my life. As I lay there last night trying to understand and not judge this friend I wondered how could this happen. How do we get so far away from God that we can deceive ourselves that what we are doing is right?

While I have never walked the path and made the decisions of this dear friend; I have deceived myself into believing my choices and decisions were right. I have allowed my desires to overrule what I know and believe to be true in my heart. I felt the gentle tug on my heart as God tried to gently push me back on the path but purposely convinced myself that what I was feeling was just doubt and not God. Oh how easily we can close out the voice of God when it conflicts with our wants and desires.

There are many verses that describe the consequences when we go astray; and a familiar one we all know is Galatians 6:7 Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. I am reaping today the seeds I sowed yesterday! If in the midst of the moment we could keep our eyes focused ahead and on the prize would we stray so easily?

The good news for us all is that God always forgives. There is no sin to big or to great that our Heavenly Father cannot forgive. 1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. This is His promise to us all.

I am thankful for a God who has forgiven me when I have gone astray and gently welcomes me back into the fold with Love and Mercy. May I always remember to offer and do the same to those who need forgiveness.